Create a way to filter out noise while making content accessible to everyone signed in

I’d like for everyone to have access to the content of categories like #projects:online-forum because of our value of #build-in-public. The online forum team can still have private conversations via our group direct messages, so that’s preserved!

At the same time, the online forum content will be interesting only to a small subset of people, and I don’t want them overwhelmed.

UPDATE
I think this is the way to go instead!

1. Suppress the project categories in the digest email
  2. Hide categories on the Latest page by group so that folks who are in project groups still see the ones that mean the most to them
  3. Have groups track categories by default.

The most promising way to do this so far, seems to be to Default Mute (which means users won’t see these posts on “Latest” or in their digest emails.

Then we can:

An in-between step instead of coding all those things to make members of a group watch a category by default is to get in the habit of using the @group convention, which will automatically email everyone who’s not already signed in.

Ok, I think this is fine. It makes sense that there is a lot of overwhelming news we should filter it out. I am sure many people do not care about how the forum is built or improved :slight_smile: until we ask them :slight_smile:

Exactly!

I just implemented the steps I laid out

Keeping this topic in #evaluating so we can see how it works out, especially when we have multiple projects going and more people on the forum.

I wrote a FAQ on how this works for users