What are the responsibilities of the whole board?
- Raise funding
- Set strategy
- Recruit staff, volunteers, and partners
- Make sure our organization is following the law
- Represent our organization in public
What do we expect of our board members?
- 10-15 hours/month
- Within our top three out-of-school/work commitments
- Attend at least 70% of board meetings
- Responsive via email, forum, and phone communications
- Act on principle: make decisions true to our shared vision, mission, and values
What are the responsibilities held by any specialized roles?
- Have the big picture and be clear about the work that the board needs to accomplish:
- What needs doing next?
- Are members doing what they agreed to do?
- What might be needed so operations can run more smoothly?
- Engage and support each board member through individual meetings, public acknowledgment, etc.
- Give feedback on performance to each board members so they can be effective
- Coaches and leads board evaluation of the executive director
- Ensure fiduciary and legal compliance
- Execute all instruments requiring a signature on behalf of the Organization
- Serve as or designate a public spokesperson for the Organization
- Perform the duties of other executive officers if they are unable or unwilling to complete them as stated in these bylaws or at the direction of the board
- Makes sure meeting minutes are taken, approved, stored, and communicated
- Interprets the meeting notes in case of disagreement
- Keeps track of all documents
- Supports planning the agenda
- Maintain custody of the seal of the organization, if any, and validate documents by affixing the seal as authorized by the board or the president
- Perform the duties of the board chair if they are unable or unwilling to complete them as stated in these bylaws or at the direction of the board
- Draft and present the annual budget to the board
- Prepare and present a treasurer’s report at board meetings
- Check accounting work for errors and fraud
- Sign or approve checks and other payments, and sign the annual tax return for the organization, known as a Form 990
- Prepare meeting agenda in collaboration with leader and secretary
- Guides circle through the decision-making process
Who are our current board members?
See our Mission Circle + Board of Directors Planning Document for current membership.